Tuesday, August 17, 2010

In one year…







There are three major goals of Peace Corps service, and one is the hope that South Africans can learn a bit about Americans by my serving here. Well, I haven’t taken any interviews or conducted any polls, but here are some things South Africans may have learned about ONE American (other than, of course, this American’s urgent need to save all yard debris from burning!):

*The Primary School children have learned that I will not hit them. This isn’t as wonderful as it sounds: in my community, respect is earned with beatings. In fact, the person in charge of the beatings is often referred to as “the protector” as in, “thank you sir, for protecting us from the disturbance.”

*The college kids have learned that I will not scream at them, throw things at them, curse at them, etc. Here too, not such a great thing when the aforementioned behaviors earn respect. We also waste some—but not a lot-- of class time waiting for them to decide if they want to be respectful or not (so we can begin class).

*Members in my community have learned that I would rather walk to the local market than ride the taxi. (I’m not sure if my community members have learned that I would rather gouge my eyes out than ride a public taxi.) :-)

*Members in my community know that I enjoy watching the birds. They also know that I walk the campus in the evenings to see all of the different bird activity around the different areas of the campus.

*Members in my community know that I enjoy working in a garden.

*Members in my community know that I’d rather be outside than in.

*Members in my community know that I don’t enjoy watching TV and that I don’t own one in my home. (I don’t own one in the States either.)

*Members in my community know that I don’t own a personal computer.

*Members in my community know that I’m not rich enough to travel to the States to visit my family.

*Members in my community know that no, I don’t have R5 to give them.

*Members in my community know that I am not interested in dressing in a sexually suggestive manner, nor do I feel the need to adorn my face with make-up.

*Members in my community know that I don’t have a “helper” and that I do my own cleaning and laundry.

*Members in my community know that I don’t cook meat for myself and if they come to visit, won’t be offered any!

*Members in my community know that I love where I live and miss my home and family very much.

*Members in my community know that I get grumpy with all of the “KFC” talk—Kentucky is so much more than fried chicken!!

*Members in my community know that at church, I will sing the hymns in Setswana if someone shares their hymnal with me (someone usually does!)

I wonder what my remaining year has in store for my community members… What will this American do next?

Soon,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment